Lilian Mavis Tumwizere
Lilian is an associate at ALN Uganda | MMAKS ADVOCATES, one of the leading law firms in Uganda. She has been practicing law for 6 years now. She is an Advocate of the High court of Uganda and a registered Trademarks Agent with the National Registration Bureau (URSB) with considerable experience in Intellectual Property law, her niche amongst the varied practices of the law.
Lilian acts for and routinely advises clients on the creation, registration, maintenance, protection, commercialization, and enforcement of various Intellectual Property rights in Uganda.
Lilian has also garnered considerable experience in corporate commercial matters with a keen interest in corporate governance. She advises various clientele on formation, corporate governance, contract negotiation and drafting, regulatory compliance among others. In a nutshell, she ensures that her clients operate within the legal framework while facilitating their commercial transactions.
Lilian is highly regarded by clients and described as “responsive and alive to legal solutions that make commercial sense.” She is a member of the Uganda Law Society I.P Cluster and ta committee member of the Uganda Law Society Young lawyers committee. Lilian is also part of the Project Girls For Girls (G4G) which offers professional mentorship and leadership skills through global network of female leaders (Mentors).
Lilian graduated with a Bachelor of Laws degree (Hons. Upper second) from Uganda Christian University, Mukono and a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Developments Centre, Kampala.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- Member, Uganda Law Society
- Member, East Africa Law Society
- Member, Uganda Law Society Intellectual Property Law Cluster.
- Member,Uganda Law Society Young Lawyers Committee
- Member , Uganda Registration Services Buraeu IP Directorate Users’ Forum.
2021 Specialised Course on the Madrid system for the International registration of Trademarks (Distance Learning)
2019 General Course on Intellectual Property (Distance Learning)
2016-2017 Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice
2012 - 2016 Bachelor of Laws, LL.B,(Hons.)Uganda Christian University,Mukono
2022 – DATE Associate, MMAKS Advocates
2020 - 2021 Legal Trainee, MMAKS Advocates
2018 - 2020 Associate, Muganwa,Nanteza & Co Advocates
2017 - 2018 Legal Trainee, Kazungu, Kakooza, Alinaitwe & Co Advocates
areas of expertise
- Intellectual Property Law
- Corporate Commercial
- Employment Law
- Acting for Diageo, Inc, a British multinational alcoholic beverage company on their Intellectual Property Ugandan Portfolio. This involves filings, maintenace, advisory, dispute resoltuion as well as anti counterfeit measures.
- Acted for Meta Platforms, Inc in connection with their tTrademark applications in Uganda. Specifically, handled and appeal against the refusal of one of their trademarks ‘META” due to an existing similar mark on the register in the names of Apple, Inc.This was succesfully argued and the same proceed to registration.
- Acted for The Coca-Cola company, an American multinational Corporation, to overcome the rejection of their trademark Real Magic. Upon successfully arguing our appeal, the same was accepted and it proceeded to registration of the same.
- Acted for Hayat Kimya Sanayi A.S. a global player in the manufacturing business with 67 companies operating in different industries in pursuing the trademark abandonment of one of their products mark “MOLPED” The Trademark has been wrongfully claimed and applied for by their distributor- turned infringer in Uganda. We successfully had the same deemed abandoned and removed from the Register of Trademarks then subsequently applied and registered it for Hayat Kimya, the rightful proprietor.
- Acted for Bidco Uganda Limited, a leading manufacturer of vegetable oils products against opposition of their trademarks most notable being ‘‘Blue Magic’’ laundry soap trademark. This was finally registered, albeit upon reaching a consent settlement.
- Acted for Sustainable Agro Solutions S.A in defending their trademark against opposition by YARA International.
- Acting for one of the leading roofing’s company in Uganda in defending their trademark from cancellation by a rival steel company.
- Acts for Imana Yera Company Limited where she sits on their board as Company Secretary.
- Involved in the day-to-day application, registration and maintenance of intellectual property rights for international and local proprietors.